Book Review: In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen


Title: In Farleigh Field
Author: Rhys Bowen
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery, War
Release Date: March 1st, 2017
Publisher:  Lake-Union Publishing
World War II comes to Farleigh Place, the ancestral home of Lord Westerham and his five daughters, when a soldier with a failed parachute falls to his death on the estate. After his uniform and possessions raise suspicions, MI5 operative and family friend Ben Cresswell is covertly tasked with determining if the man is a German spy. The assignment also offers Ben the chance to be near Lord Westerham’s middle daughter, Pamela, whom he furtively loves. But Pamela has her own secret: she has taken a job at Bletchley Park, the British code-breaking facility. As Ben follows a trail of spies and traitors, which may include another member of Pamela’s family, he discovers that some within the realm have an appalling, history-altering agenda. Can he, with Pamela’s help, stop them before England falls? Inspired by the events and people of World War II, writer Rhys Bowen crafts a sweeping and riveting saga of class, family, love, and betrayal.


In Farleigh Field was the first book I read from Bowen and I can already tell you it won't be the last. This historical fiction had me turning page after page, with it's intriguing plot line and engaging characters!


In Farleigh Field was the first book I read from Bowen and I can already tell you it won't be the last. This historical fiction had me turning page after page, with it's intriguing plot line and engaging characters! Although I'm not a huge reader of historical novels, this one is definitely at the top of my fave reads of this year.

This novel revolves around the events and people of World War II and seeing as I was always intrigued by the history of the wars, I was really exited to get read this book. The plot was a paced well, it didn't drag and it didn't speed through - it was enjoyable from the first page to last. There were some things that were predictable throughout the book but it never took away my enjoyment of reading.

At the beginning of the book, the author provided a cast of the characters of who they were and I really appreciated that as I started I reading because at first it was a bit hard to keep up and I kept having to go back to that list. But as I continued reading, I started to get a feel of who was who and I loved learning about the characters stories.

Rhys Bowen really captured me in this standalone novel and I'm excited to see what she has in stores next! If you're wanting a good historical fiction with a mix of intrigue, engaging characters and plot, and even a bit of romance, In Farleigh Field is the book for you!










Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams